SD Card Image Test

I’m now ready to begin constructing my emulator. The first step is to test my existing SD card image. When I initially used the RetroPie Project to create an emulator I downloaded an existing SD card image from the project’s home page and ran it from the Raspberry Pi model B that I had. If possible I wanted to use this existing image on the new Raspberry Pi model B+ I purchased. This also gave me a chance to test out a cool little item I ran across when buying parts for my emulator: an SD card extension cable.


My plan is to mount my Raspberry Pi to the plate at the bottom of the Dreamcast case. This extension cable will allow me to easily access my SD card. It has the added bonus of acting as an SD to SD micro adapter. I originally purchased a standard size SD card for the project since I was using my model B. However, the B+ I purchased has an SD micro slot. The cable I got has the male end sized to fit into my B+’s slot but the female end accepts standard SD cards. This will allow me to use my existing card rather than having to buy an SD micro card.

My first test was on the extension cable itself. I took an existing SD card image that I knew worked with the B+ and plugged it directly into the Pi. After confirming that it booted up and worked I plugged it into the Pi using the extension cable.


It worked perfectly. I’m glad it did because even though I purchased this cable off of Amazon it took about a month to arrive since it was shipped from China. I guess the don’t make many of these sort of things in the US. The only negative about the cable is that the Pi doesn’t keep a tight hold of the SD micro side. I think I can work with that though. When I had the Pi running I jiggled the cable and made sure that it wasn’t too lose to work. I actually had to start pulling it out of the slot before the connection to the SD card was lost. I should be able to find a way to secure the cable in the Pi when I get around to mounting it in the Dreamcast case.

After testing the cable I popped in the SD card with RetroPie already installed. Unfortunately it didn’t boot. Honestly, I’m not too surprised. I had read that SD card images created on model B’s don’t work in B+’s. I wanted to confirm this myself though. I guess I’ll be going ahead and installing all of the software from scratch after all. When it comes down to it this isn’t really going to slow down my progress much. I already have an SD card image with a standard Raspbian installation that I can use for now. I don’t really need to have RetroPie up and running while I’m doing the hardware work. As long as I can boot the Pi into a working OS I’m good to go.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s